[GTALUG] FCC "forces" TP-Link to enable open source on their router(s)

David Collier-Brown davec-b at rogers.com
Mon Aug 1 20:29:02 EDT 2016

The open source stuff is compliant: there's wasn't, and they were using
an FCC ruling to argue that everyone had to use theirs. the FCC didn't
appreciate the scam.

The business advantage of locked-down software is that a vendor can
"encourage" you to buy a new router to get bugs fixed, by not supporting
older models. The FCC effectively came out against that, too.

I admit to being surprised, but I'm quite pleased.

--dave