[GTALUG] Advice -- Building Debian 8 PC To Replace Win XP PC;

James Knott james.knott at rogers.com
Mon Aug 1 13:07:30 EDT 2016

On 08/01/2016 12:49 PM, Russell Reiter via talk wrote:

> > Now that I think on it, didn't you mention earlier on this thread,
> getting access to a mobile device (cell phone?) modem from Linux?
>
> Yes that's true. Most GSM phone devices can physically tether for file
> transfers, a very few cannot. A cellphone is really just an always on
> modem. I did an install a few years ago debian or Fedora, I can't
> remember which. The device relied on Windows networking to switch from
> block to character mode. You'd tether the device retrieve the windows
> connection app and bobs ur uncle. I tried it once at a friend's place

Many of the old 2G phones could be used as a dial up modem, and used the
"AT" commands to control the call, just as with a regular dial up
telephone modem.  Smart phones support tethering via either USB or
WiFi.  I have my Nexus 5 configured as a WiFi access point and, when
it's enabled, my computer can connect to it, as it would any other WiFi
access point.