[GTALUG] Advice -- Building Debian 8 PC To Replace Win XP PC;

Steve Petrie, P.Eng. apetrie at aspetrie.net
Mon Aug 1 11:07:06 EDT 2016

Hello Russell,

Thanks for your message.

My comments are inline below.

Steve

----- Original Message -----
From: "Russell Reiter" <rreiter91 at gmail.com>
To: "GTALUG Talk" <talk at gtalug.org>; "Steve Petrie, P.Eng."
<apetrie at aspetrie.net>
Sent: Saturday, July 30, 2016 4:53 PM
Subject: Re: [GTALUG] Advice -- Building Debian 8 PC To Replace Win XP
PC;

><snip>

>> [3] case with plenty of free expansion slots, fan mounts and generous
>> air
>flow clearances;
>
>Here's the top critical review of your case, at least I think it's the
>same
>one. I lifted this from Newegg. Note the issue with SSD mounts.
>
>8/26/2015 8:29:07 PM
>
>    Pros: It looks nice. It's quiet. Cable management is okay.
>
>    Cons: The case came bent near the power supply. This was easily
> fixable
>but it says something about how they package the case for shipping. My
>friend ordered a Define S case and his came with even more damage. The
>back
>of the case was bent and the LED light plug was broken. This does not
>make
>me want to buy another fractal design product. The biggest complaint I
>have
>about the case is that ssd mounts don't fit either of my ssd's.
>Admittedly
>I do have on ssd that is slightly bigger than the other, but the
>smaller
>one is a standard 2.5" drive that I can't mount because it's too big
>for
>the mount they designed. It makes me wonder if any ssd's can fit in
>this
>mount. Overall I'm not impressed.

I'm not impressed, either.

Based on earlier GTALUG advice (from Lennart) that the front door on the
Fractal Design case (if closed) is inviting a self-ejecting optical
drive to destroy itself, I already decided to drop the Fractal Design
case(with its front door) and I'm going to investigate Lennart's
suggested substitution: Silverstone TJ04-E.

>Here's the review which led me to the previous, which I think is your
>choice.
>
>http://m.newegg.com/Product/TopReviewDetails?itemnumber=N82E16811352049&istopcritical=True

I couldn't find the exact critical review from which you got the
critical review snippet, but the damage to the case, and the lack of SSD
mount space, just confirm my decision to drop the Fractal Design case.

<snip>