[GTALUG] Advice -- Building Debian 8 PC To Replace Win XP PC;

Steve Petrie, P.Eng. apetrie at aspetrie.net
Mon Aug 1 11:05:26 EDT 2016

Hello Hugh,

Thanks for your message.

My comments are inline below.

Steve

----- Original Message -----
From: "D. Hugh Redelmeier" <hugh at mimosa.com>
To: "Russell Reiter" <rreiter91 at gmail.com>; "GTALUG Talk"
<talk at gtalug.org>
Cc: "Steve Petrie, P.Eng." <apetrie at aspetrie.net>
Sent: Saturday, July 30, 2016 3:12 PM
Subject: Re: [GTALUG] Advice -- Building Debian 8 PC To Replace Win XP
PC;

>| From: Russell Reiter via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
>
> | > So, if I buy a white box (e.g. Dell) I'll have to wipe the HDD and
> start
> | again,
> |
> | Dell is a branded manufacturer. OEM whiteboxes are usually assembled
> by a
> | local integrator, or yourself, from branded and or unbranded parts
> you
> | source out.

<snip>

> Generally speaking, each manufacturer makes an inexpensive, flashy,
> and fast-changing line of products for consumers, and a more
> expensive, staid, reliable, stable line for businesses.  (Servers are
> another line, but this can blur.)
>
> It sure seems that Steve would want a business model.  Assuming he
> wants a pre-built model at all.

Right -- I want a business model.

> Most of my experience with business models has been buying them
> off-lease.  These machines have been pretty solid and reliable.  Oh,
> and old.

I want new hardware, for the last computer I will probably ever buy.

<snip>

> Business desktops often seem to support VGA and DisplayPort.  DVI is
> disappearing faster than VGA and HDMI isn't generally supported.  This
> might affect the choice of monitor.

Hmmm -- thanks for the tip.

I'd better check my research, re: Intel on-chip video support, versus
the monitor I have chosen:

LG 22MB35DM-I 21.5" Monitor Full HD 1080p 1920x1080 IPS LED Back-lit,
DVI-D, D-Sub,
contrast ratios: (static 1,000:1), (dynamic 5M:1), reader mode,
flicker-safe;