[GTALUG] Advice -- Building Debian 8 PC To Replace Win XP PC;

Steve Petrie, P.Eng. apetrie at aspetrie.net
Mon Aug 1 10:56:27 EDT 2016

Hello Christopher,

Thanks for your message.

My comments are inline below.

Steve

----- Original Message -----
From: "Christopher Browne" <cbbrowne at gmail.com>
To: "GTALUG Talk" <talk at gtalug.org>; "Steve Petrie, P.Eng."
<apetrie at aspetrie.net>
Sent: Saturday, July 30, 2016 1:06 PM
Subject: Re: [GTALUG] Advice -- Building Debian 8 PC To Replace Win XP
PC;

> Vis a vis the email part, I would think it possible that it should be
> pretty easy to replicate IMAP locally.
>
> I haven't used this in several years, but have installed and used a
> system
> called offlineimap (see http://www.offlineimap.org/) which made it
> relatively easy to duplicate IMAP repositories on a per user basis.
>
> It needed only a couple lines of configuration per source.  And note
> it is
> available as a Debian package :-)
> https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=offlineimap

In my case, I prefer to avoid IMAP and find some more direct way to
mass-convert the Outlook Express local email folders on the Win XP PC,
over to Thunderbird local email folders on Linux.

However, if using IMAP as an intermediary representation, turns out to
be a good way to do the email mass-conversion, then the offlineimap
system could prove a usefully simple way to get IMAP support for the
conversion.

I took a quick look at the offlineimap website. Looks like the product
is still active, and also that a replacement product project is ongoing.

<snip>