[GTALUG] Advice -- Building Debian 8 PC To Replace Win XP PC;

Steve Petrie, P.Eng. apetrie at aspetrie.net
Mon Aug 1 10:54:24 EDT 2016

Hello Russell,

Thanks for your message.

My comments are inline below.

Steve

----- Original Message -----
From: "Russell Reiter" <rreiter91 at gmail.com>
To: "GTALUG Talk" <talk at gtalug.org>; "Steve Petrie, P.Eng."
<apetrie at aspetrie.net>
Sent: Saturday, July 30, 2016 10:48 AM
Subject: Re: [GTALUG] Advice -- Building Debian 8 PC To Replace Win XP
PC;

> On Jul 30, 2016 1:28 AM, "Steve Petrie, P.Eng. via talk"
> <talk at gtalug.org>
> wrote:
>
> <snip>

<snip>

> This device looks promising to me. New Old Stock is the reason I go to
> Above All etc.
>
> http://m.ebay.ca/itm/US-Robotics-56K-USB-Modem-Windows-Mac-Linux-/272305326036?nav=SEARCH
>
> http://support.usr.com/support/5637/5637-ug/install.html
>
> Here's a snippet from the support page.
>
> "Linux Kernel 2.4.20 and Higher
>
> You need a USB modem driver (CDC ACM) compiled into a Linux kernel
> 2.4.20
> or higher or as a loadable module for your kernel. Installation of the
> modem under these kernels is fully automatic provided your kernel has
> the
> Plug and Play module enabled (default). You do not need to install any
> drivers off the USRobotics installation CD-ROM. "

Thanks for this !! Looks very promising !!

Seems that USB support for modems is being kept up-to-date in Linux, as
the usb modem driver source code is present in linux 3.16 kernel (used
by debian 8):

   drivers/usb/class/cdc-acm.c
   drivers/usb/class/cdc-acm.h

Also, I see a web page with a Linux patch notice dated 17 November 2014
"[3.16.y-ckt,stable] Patch "USB: cdc-acm: add quirk for control-line
state requests" has been added to staging queue".

Now that I think on it, didn't you mention earlier on this thread,
getting access to a mobile device (cell phone?) modem from Linux?

Using Google, I found lots of documentation on getting USB modems to
work on Linux (including the PPP stuff for the dial-up Internet link).

So I will try a USRobotics USR5637 56K V.92 USB modem.

<snip>