[GTALUG] Anyone tried UbuntuBSD?

Giles Orr gilesorr at gmail.com
Sun Apr 24 10:57:40 EDT 2016

On 23 April 2016 at 16:05, Mike <el.fontanero at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 23, 2016 at 3:48 PM, Giles Orr <gilesorr at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I just downloaded UbuntuBSD from
>> https://sourceforge.net/projects/ubuntubsd/ .  I really like the idea:
>> ZFS and no systemd.  But attempting to install it in VirtualBox, I got
>> "error: failed in building a Huffman code table" (a line that stumped
>> Google!) and got dropped to the 'grub>' prompt (where I admit to being
>> a bit lost).  This happened on two different machines, one Debian, the
>> other Ubuntu, and I'm fairly sure they're amd64 systems (needed since
>> the ISO is x64).  An md5 file to verify the download would be a plus,
>> but I haven't found one.
>
> gzip and bzip2 use Huffman coding (frequent symbols are coded with smaller
> representations). It seems like the kernel is having trouble starting, or
> even initializing its gzip/bzip2, to decompresses itself...
>
> Check that your virtualization environment is simulating the type of machine
> the install image is expecting (CPU architecture, hopefully not too exotic
> bus hardware etc.).

The machine in question (the one of two that's on at the moment) is a
64-bit machine with an x86_64 kernel: VirtualBox is a Debian package
available through the OS, so I assume it's 64-bit.

I don't think this is a guest OS kernel problem: after seeing the
error message while attempting to boot the ISO as a guest I'm dumped
to the GRUB prompt, so we never actually get to the kernel.  This
would seem to be a GRUB issue?

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/