[GTALUG] distro for an old Thinkpad

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Sun Apr 24 10:29:01 EDT 2016

| From: Stewart C. Russell <scruss at gmail.com>

| the machine is a Pentium M, so
| I'll have to try to work around PAE issues.

Seems easy.  The hard part is behind you: realizing that there is a
problem and what it is.
<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PAE>

How much RAM does it have?  How much can it have?  That's the main cause
of machines becoming useless to me.

| To Hugh's comment, yes, a Raspberry Pi 3 is often faster than this
| machine. I ran ByteMark on this vs a bunch of machines I have about the
| house*, and the Pi 3 came out faster than the R51, and also faster than
| a ~2009 Atom dual core.

OK.  That is interesting.

I don't have a feeling for ByteMark.  I remember thinking it was a pretty
simplistic set of benchmarks when it came out but it could have changed
over the (30?) years.  I seem to remember that it was designed without
consideration of what optimizers might do.

If I remember correctly, it is all about CPU processor speed.  It might be
testing memory bandwidth, but it might be small enough that everything
fits in a modern processor's cache.  But those are what I'm most
interested in anyway.

| *: including an Intel/Arduino Galileo, which was utterly dire.

Not a surprise.  But sad / funny.  Is there anything interesting about a
Galileo?  Is its performance respectable for its power consumption?