[GTALUG] Ubuntu 16.04 out

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Thu Apr 21 12:19:08 EDT 2016

I just downloaded AMD64 live desktop Ubuntu 16.04.

Downloading was quick.  8 minutes on my supposedly 25mbit VDSL connection.

It used to be that you had to use a specialized tool to write ubuntu
on a USB stick from a .iso file.  Just dd-ing it works with this
release (at least).

The 64-bit .iso does not have 32-bit UEFI support.  Rats.  I think
that this would only have required:
EFI/BOOT/BOOTx32.EFI, EFI/BOOT/grubi32.efi
and a 32-bit version of the grub command.  I don't think that it
would add significantly to the .iso size and would allow support for
a bunch of cheap devices.  debian multiboot manages this.