[GTALUG] Surveying

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Wed Apr 20 12:48:23 EDT 2016

Giles recounted:
> There is also the "smoot," a length of 5 foot 7 inches based on
> the gentleman at MIT possessing the same last name ...

That's Oliver Smoot. When his cousin, George Smoot, won the Nobel
prize in physics in 2006 for cosmic microwave background radiation,
every single interview I heard with George about the Nobel prize
eventually descended to asking about his more famous brother and his
unit of measure (Quirks & Quarks, Science Friday, As It Happens, The
Guardian's Science Weekly, maybe more).

Obviously, units of measure are more important than the rest of the
universe.

- --Bob.