[GTALUG] The truth comes out: Microsoft needs Linux - TechRepublic

Paul King sciguy at vex.net
Sat Apr 16 22:21:49 EDT 2016

Great news! But to be clear, I think they are only talking about BASH and
servers. But even so, it's not the first time they've given things out for free
in recent years (apart from MsSQL): they've been giving out free versions of
Visual Studio (personal edition or something like that), for example. It's
significant, but it depends on what you're looking for. Maybe the offering is
too simple or spare. It didn't look too bad when I tried it once, but I wanted
things it wasn't offering. I would suppose that VS could bw useful to anyone
looking for something to play with. Currently, my Windows-based language of
preference (for executables) is Lazarus. For scripts it's Perl. For a
*NIX-based system on WIndows, I have Cygwin.

I would be truly impressed if MS was contributing to Cygwin. Not sure if that
ever happened. Downloading and installation is still as sloppy as it ever was
(and if you are not careful, a painfully slow post-install of LaTex font
packages), so probably not. Although, their X-windows managers have come a long
way.

Paul King