[GTALUG] Bill That Would Ban End-to-End Encryption Savaged by Critics

Stephen stephen-d at rogers.com
Sat Apr 9 17:51:44 UTC 2016

On 16-04-09 05:39 PM, Stewart C. Russell wrote:
> On 2016-04-09 05:05 PM, James Knott wrote:
>>
>> GPG forever!
>
> Except that:
>
> 1) you can still see all the regular e-mail header metadata, so with a
> lot of data correlation, you can work out who is doing what and who is
> part of which network without decrypting the messages;
>
> 2) it sets the NSA's "Has Something To Hide" bit:
>
> <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/01/27/nsa_loves_it_when_you_use_pgp/>; and
>
> 3) you have to assume that the code and the system you're running it on
> haven't been compromised.

The best form of encryption that I ever read about is to use a book.

You need to be able to agree on the book in a secure manner.

Then each word in the message is replaced with a pair of numbers,
corresponding to the page and word offset of the word.

The number data can be appended to a jpg file that is distributed on
social media.

--
Stephen