[GTALUG] Free / Cheap Ebooks

Giles Orr gilesorr at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 18:00:25 UTC 2016

On 5 April 2016 at 10:09, Digiital aka David <digiital at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thought I would share this.
>
> https://www.packtpub.com/
>
> Go to the website above and scroll down half way and click on FREE
> LEARNING FOREVER
> you will need to signup for a account.  Every day/few hours they release a
> new free ebook.
>
> Here is a sample of what they have given away the past few days.
>
> [image: Inline image 1]

They do it every 24 hours, at some point in the evening Toronto time.  And
have been doing it for at least six months - I think that's how long I've
been checking.  They tend to release the previous revision of a book rather
than the current one, so the content tends to be a couple years out of
date.  Sometimes that's very important, sometimes almost meaningless
depending on the subject.  I find it's useful to check Amazon reviews of
the books - Packt isn't as picky about their quality as O'Reilly is.  But
some of them are quite good, and the topics, while all "technical," have
varied wildly.  And it's hard to argue with the price.

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/
gilesorr at gmail.com