[GTALUG] File Permission Nusance

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Tue Apr 5 08:37:47 UTC 2016

On Mon, Apr 04, 2016 at 06:01:18PM -0400, Stephen wrote:
> I have Apache running on my system for web development with php.
>
> Apache writes to an error.log file unique for the specific web site that I
> am working on.
>
> During debugging the log file grows, and I like to clear it every now and
> then.
>
> I had to change ownership of the file to me. I five read/write to everyone.
>
> But when I truncate the file and save, Apache no longer writes to it. The
> Apache error logs do not indicate a problem.
>
> I restart Apache and all is good again. But this is a nuisance.
>
> Is there a way to avoid this nuisance?

Apache has the file open with the current seek location known.  The fact
you truncate the file is not apache's problem and it will keep writing
where it got to.  If you want to do that, you have to signal to it that
you want it to reopen the log file, which usually a reload (often sending
SIGHUP) will do.

--
Len Sorensen