[GTALUG] [OT] first stanza in css not understood

Howard Gibson hgibson at eol.ca
Sun Apr 3 16:15:26 UTC 2016

On Sun, 03 Apr 2016 11:53:58 -0400
"Paul King" <sciguy at vex.net> wrote:

> > | From: Paul King <sciguy at vex.net>
> >
> > | Thanks for your help. I didn't know that // wasn't a comment, my VIM editor
> > | seemed to highlught it that way, and it also seemed harmless as long as the CSS
>
> ugh! "CSS" should have read "Javascript"!
>
> On 3 Apr 2016 at 10:12, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > If you want to check for errors, use some verifier: something tasked
> > with being picky.  It used to be that "validator" was useful.
> > <https://validator.w3.org/>
> > <https://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/>

   I checked it by plugging it into one of my stylesheets.  There are number of stupid things I have found that will make stylesheets not work.  Attaching more than one stylesheet to your HTML code has interesting results.  This is easy if you are using a graphic HTML editor.  This is one of the many advantages of VI.

--
Howard Gibson
hgibson at eol.ca
howard.gibson at teledyneoptech.com