[GTALUG] Users in an automated environment

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay at dinamis.com
Sat Apr 2 20:27:31 UTC 2016

On 02/04/16 06:42 PM, David Thornton wrote:
> In "managing infrastructure with puppet" they defines users in manifests.
>
> I've seen user rpms.
>
> How do you do it.

I use SaltStack in a masterless minion configuration. I build a base
image with a BASH script that has enough of the VM that SaltStack can
take over and do the rest. Here is the SaltStack documentation to manage
users.
<https://docs.saltstack.com/en/latest/ref/states/all/salt.states.user.html>

I'm also working on eliminating the need to create a custom ISO image
from which I generate the VM by using Packer <https://www.packer.io/>
with the SaltStack provider. That will give make it easier for me to
have one configuration file and a common set of Salt states from which I
can target various virtualization environments - VirtualBox, VMWare,
Hyper-V, Amazon EC2, Azure, OpenStack, etc.

--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay

+ 1 647-778-8696