[GTALUG] Using (Tomato) Linux (Router) as Web Proxy Server.

Christopher Browne cbbrowne at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 22:43:27 UTC 2015

On 22 September 2015 at 18:31, Giles Orr <gilesorr at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 20 September 2015 at 15:21, Peter Renzland <renzland at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Request for help:
> > Using (Tomato) Linux (Router) as Web Proxy Server.
> >
> > I remotely manage several Tomato networks.
> >
> > I would like to connect to the ISP's Usage Data web page, from the
remote network, to check the remote network's data usage.

> > I'd also like to run the ISP-specific (web browser) speed test from the
remote network, to check the remote network's data rates.

> > These seem like very ordinary, simple things to want to do.
> > I'd like to find someone who has actually done these things, and who
can help me do them.
> > (I have found dozens of "how-to" web pages that don't work for me. But
I have not found anyone who has said

> > "I do this all the time, and here is how I do it". Instead, I have
found many people who have said "I have never done this, and I won't try to
do it myself it, but you should try this ....")

> > Being able to do a web search on "my IP" and get the remote (proxy)
host's IP address is really all need.

> > So, if there is someone who actually has done this, please help!
> > Thank you very much.
> >
> > [Mac OS X, Google-Chrome, Tomato Shibby 131 AIO]
>
> Many years ago (so this almost falls into the category of "I haven't
> done this but you should try it" - sorry ... but it did work then) I
> had a pretty good system for finding my home IP.  I did it from the
> home computer, not the router: you should have router access, which
> should make it easier.  My home computer would check the IP address
> assigned to the router every five minutes on a cron job, and if it
> found the IP was different from last time, it would update the IP on a
> web page and post it to my public web server.  That section of the
> website was password-protected (although not encrypted, something I
> would definitely do now).
>
> I hope this is useful, sorry it's so vague.

I use inadyn-mt <https://sourceforge.net/projects/inadyn-mt/> to push IP
changes over to domains on afraid.org.

Unfortunately, there have been issues with such packages making the
processes pretty fragile.

I used to use "plain inadyn"; had to jump to a fork that seemed better
maintained.  (I'm not sure the difference continues to be true.)

I believe that dd-wrt and open-wrt include inadyn deployments for updating
"home IPs".