[GTALUG] GTA Monitor Repairs

Clifford Ilkay clifford_ilkay at dinamis.com
Mon Sep 14 22:05:52 UTC 2015

Hello,

I purchased a new 4k Wasabi Mango UHD420 monitor on eBay from Korea in
May and now it needs service. It's not feasible to ship this 42" monster
back to Korea for service. I have a SquareTrade warranty that will cover
local repairs. Does anyone know of any repair shops in the GTA or
someone who will come out to my place to fix this thing?

If you're curious how this works with Linux, I had to upgrade my video
card to a GeForce 960. I bought an ASUS because that's the only
manufacturer that has local RMA, apparently. I had to install the binary
driver. It didn't work with Fedora 20. I didn't waste any time
troubleshooting it and just did a clean install of Fedora 21. I keep
/home on a separate partition so I was back in business in under 20
minutes. All I had to do to make the fonts look right in KDE was to
check "Force fonts DPI" and set it to 105 in System Settings>>Fonts.

When this monitor works, it's beautiful. Unfortunately, it appears the
electronics in this thing are half-baked. Within a week, the screen
started losing sync on the right side and eventually died on the right
side. It's an interesting failure mode because this is one panel, not
two. I offered to replace the defective parts if the eBay vendor shipped
them to me. They were only too happy to do that because under the terms
of the sale, they would have had to pay shipping both ways, which I'm
guessing for something this size would easily be $200. They sent me a
new video board and I replaced it in about half an hour. From the time
the monitor failed to the time it was running again was just under two
weeks. The vendor seems to answer no more than one email every 24 to 48
hours.

That board worked perfectly until July when I started seeing "tearing"
all over the screen as it momentarily lost sync. I reported this to the
vendor and they wanted a video of it happening to do anything about it.
It wasn't happening in a predictable or frequently enough that I
bothered. Last week, the "tearing" got worse and there was a new
symptom. The brightness would fluctuate on its own. (I had turned off
adaptive brightness because it didn't work well for me.) This progressed
to the screen going completely dark with a regular popping noise coming
from the internal speakers. If I turn off the monitor and let it cool
down, it will turn on again and the loss of sync and eventually going
black cycle will be repeated.

--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay