[GTALUG] QEMU and GDB debugging a kernel module

Kevin Cozens kevin at ve3syb.ca
Thu Sep 10 15:49:19 UTC 2015

On 15-09-03 12:21 PM, Mike wrote:
> But Kevin, don't fear the command line.  A
> well-designed graphical debugger is a good and useful tool, but when you
> absolutely need to get into the plumbing; memory setup, ICE hardware
> protocols, etc. (ad nauseam) you almost inevitably go sideways from where
> the GUI designers intended.

I don't fear the command line. I just don't use gdb enough to know all its
commands. I would need a cheat sheet in order to use it effectively from the
command line. The extent of my command line use of gdb is limited to loading
a core dump, loading the file with the symbol table and getting a backtrace.

I find it convenient to be able to watch the contents of multiple variables
and easily dig through structures in GUI front-ends to gdb. I haven't gotten
in to some of the other types of programming/issues you mentioned so ddd has
been ok for me so far.

I read about a way to set up ddd for debugging of AVR microcontrollers using
the AVR version of gdb but I haven't tried doing that yet. Using avr-gdb
could get me into using gdb from the command line if I find I really need to
use it.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.