[GTALUG] QEMU and GDB debugging a kernel module

Mike el.fontanero at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 16:21:50 UTC 2015

On Thu, Sep 3, 2015 at 11:41 AM, Lennart Sorensen <
lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 01, 2015 at 09:43:06PM -0400, Kevin Cozens wrote:
> > I haven't done that. I have seldom used gdb directly. If I'm doing
> debugging
> > I use gdb via ddd. The ddd program makes debugging a lot easier (for me)
> > than the command line based gdb.
>
> Last I looked at it (a long time ago), ddd had to be one of the worst,
> most buggy, awful ui, pieces of crap I ever encountered.  Even makes
> eclipse seem like a good idea in comparison.  So bad I have never ever
> considered looking at it again.  I assumed it had to have died out from
> being so bad.

Never had the pleasure.  But Kevin, don't fear the command line.  A
well-designed graphical debugger is a good and useful tool, but when you
absolutely need to get into the plumbing; memory setup, ICE hardware
protocols, etc. (ad nauseam) you almost inevitably go sideways from where
the GUI designers intended.  Kvm-qemu kernel debugging probably falls
squarely in this category.  All roads lead to gdb, it sometimes seems...

Mike