[GTALUG] No sound from Intel HD Audio -- solved!

William Park opengeometry at yahoo.ca
Wed Sep 2 16:37:16 UTC 2015

Hi,

Finally, I've got sound from Intel HD Audio, through default card=0 !

I recently bought H97 motherboard and i3-4170, because I couldn't afford
electricity for my 125W AMD 8-core and overheating motherboard.
According to my calculation, i3 will pay for itself in a year.

Everything was ok, except sound.  On this H97 board, the default card=0
is HDMI, and audio ports are card=1.
    - I got KDE making notification sound by changing precedence order
      in "phonon" setting.
    - I managed to get 'mplayer' playing on card=1 by
	    ao=alsa:device=hw=1.0
      and 'aplay' playing on card=1 by
	    -D default:PCH

Still, YouTube or Flash played video, but no sound.  Installing discrete
sound card would not help, because that would only become card=2.

I was about to go back to the AMD block heater, when accidental click
lead me to a solution.  Solution was ~/.asoundrc
    pcm.!default {
	type hw
	card 1
    }
    ctl.!default {
	type hw
	card 1
    }

Now, I've got sound from default card=1, without those funky
configuration settings.
--
William