[GTALUG] T-shirt Ideas

Scott Elcomb psema4 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 03:55:31 UTC 2015

On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 2:41 PM, Scott Sullivan <scott at ss.org> wrote:
<snip>
> Anyone else got some good hardcore comp-sci hummor?

NACK, NACK.

Who's there?

ATM.

ATM who?

NACK, NACK.

"NACK" is a "negative acknowledgement", a very old communications
protocol for "I don't understand". NACK usually forces a
resynchronization or renegotiation between end points. ATM is
"Asynchronous Transfer Mode"; a couple of decades ago it was a
relatively high-speed packet technology that lost out to other
technologies. - via <http://stackoverflow.com/a/1590009/773209>

The TCP joke is a personal favourite:

"Hi, I'd like to hear a TCP joke."

"Hello, would you like to hear a TCP joke?"

"Yes, I'd like to hear a TCP joke."

"OK, I'll tell you a TCP joke."

"Ok, I will hear a TCP joke."

"Are you ready to hear a TCP joke?"

"Yes, I am ready to hear a TCP joke."

"Ok, I am about to send the TCP joke. It will last 10 seconds, it has
two characters, it does not have a setting, it ends with a punchline."

"Ok, I am ready to get your TCP joke that will last 10 seconds, has
two characters, does not have an explicit setting, and ends with a
punchline."

"I'm sorry, your connection has timed out. Hello, would you like to
hear a TCP joke?"

There's a few good one-liners over at
<http://attrition.org/misc/ee/protolol.txt>