[GTALUG] VLC unable to play video

Daniel Wayne Armstrong daniel at circuidipity.com
Thu Oct 29 00:13:27 UTC 2015

On Wed, Oct 28, 2015 at 11:01 PM, Tom Low-Shang <tom at lowshang.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 28, 2015 at 09:11:29PM -0400, Daniel Wayne Armstrong wrote:
> > Hi all... After a recent upgrade this week on a box running Debian
> > stretch/testing the VLC media player continues to successfully play audio
> > MP3 files but crashes trying to play video files with the message:
> >
> > "Failed to open VDPAU backend libvdpau_i965.so: cannot open shared object
> > file: No such file or directory
> > Segmentation fault"
> >
> > VDPAU packages installed and their versions:
> >
> > ii  libvdpau-va-gl1:amd64                 0.3.4-3
> > ii  libvdpau1:amd64                       1.1.1-2
> > ii  mesa-vdpau-drivers:amd64              11.0.2-1
> > ii  vdpau-driver-all:amd64                1.1.1-2
> > ii  vdpau-va-driver:amd64                 0.7.4-4
> >
> > No updates are pending. Any ideas about how to fix this would be much
> > appreciated!

> The reporter "removed the vdpau libraries". I would un-install the vdpau
> packages instead. Hopefully the CPU can handle the video decoding

Thanks for the link... I tried removing the libraries as suggested and VLC
crashes with segmentation fault. Re-installed the libraries and VLC
generates a segmentation fault for everything... simply opening and closing
the program generates a fault. I tried changing the video output in VLC
preferences from 'automatic' to a few different settings and it crashes
over everything. Hmm....

 I installed smplayer and it plays video files OK.