[GTALUG] odd DHCP participant on Rogers cable internet

James Knott james.knott at rogers.com
Fri Oct 23 22:03:58 UTC 2015

On 10/23/2015 11:25 AM, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> explains that apparently 7.0.0.0/16 is reserved for internal use only
> behind the DoD firewalls, and can not be routed publicly, and rogers has
> decided to use those for internal addresses (probably to avoid conflicts
> with what customers do behind their own routers).  So rogers is apparently
> working to change 10.* to 7.* for internal equipment.
>
> So it looks weird, but it might actually be a good idea on the part
> of rogers.  Surprisingly.

And what happens when someone tries to get to the real address that
Rogers happens to be using when they shouldn't???  The RFC1918 addresses
were designed for this purpose.  Of course the real fix is to move to
IPv6 ASAP.  In the U.S. Comcast has pretty much switched entirely to
IPv6.  A major reason was there weren't enough RFC1918 addresses to
manage their internal network, without segmenting it, which would have
created other problems.

According to reports I've read, Belgium is the leader in switching to
IPv6, with the U.S. and Switzerland vying for 2nd place.  Even Brazil
and South Africa are well ahead of Canada in switching to IPv6.  Canada
used to be a world leader in telecom.  Why are we so behind the times now?

BTW, check the address you're given on your smart phone on Rogers.
You'll find it's in the 25.x.y.z range, which is assigned in England.
As I mentioned, the problem with using those addresses is that it will
cause problems for those on Rogers trying to reach the legitimate owners
of those addresses.