[GTALUG] (off topic) unlocked phones

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Thu Oct 22 17:56:17 UTC 2015

Hi all.

I have an informational favour to ask. I'm not in a position to go to local
stores and the info isn't readily available online.

I want to buy an unlocked phone as a gift. Two that I am looking at are the
Moto G and the Alcatel Idol 3. Both have websites that sell unlocked phones
mail order in the States, but if I indicate Canada they send me to a
carrier (Bell or Telus).

Would anyone here know if the Canadian versions of these phones are carrier
locked,  if the American ones are not? I'm happy to buy one off-contract if
I know it can be taken to any carrier.

Alternately, does anyone have a different recommendation in the $300-400
range? I know that Canada Computer sells the Asus Zenfone, but I know
little about this Intel-powered phone.

All help is appreciated. (obLinux: Android only). And don't even mention
the Oneplus; nice phone, supremely flaky company.

Thanks!