[GTALUG] question -- booting from USB on Chromebook ?

William Park opengeometry at yahoo.ca
Tue Oct 13 02:15:35 UTC 2015

Hi,

Canada Computers has "HP Chromebook 11 G3" on sale for $199.  So, I bought one.
The keyboard is better than other chromebooks or laptops at this price
range.

I have done the following successfully:
    - enabled Developer mode
    - installed Crouton script and "Crouton Integration" extension for
      Chrome browser.
    - installed Ubuntu (trusty, 14.04.xx, XFCE)
So, I have ChromeOS and Xubuntu running at the same time.

Now, booting from USB/SD is what I really want.  This way, I can keep
the Chromebook "clean" by having all Linux stuffs on USB stick.  But,
for the life of me, I can't get it to boot from USB stick.

I did
    - crossystem dev_boot_usb=1 dev_boot_legacy=1

What else do I have to do?
Has anyone here successfully booted from USB on Chromebook?  Help...
--
William