[GTALUG] microsoft giving away science fiction ebook, free but DRMed

Daniel Villarreal youcanlinux at gmail.com
Sat Nov 21 08:36:28 UTC 2015

On 11/21/15 07:27, James Knott wrote:
>> This is a collection of short stories "inspired by microsoft".  You
>>[dl for free...] only from ebook stores:
>> Amazon, Amazon(Int'l) Barnes and Noble, iBooks, Kobo
>>
>> So free as in beer, not free as in speech.  I find that interesting.
>>
>> (I haven't checked that there is DRM but I'd be surprised if each
>> store applied its own.)
> There are reader apps for Amazon, Kobo etc. that run on tablets.  That's
> all you need.

I supported Kobo in the past (DE/AT, GB, AU/NZ, CA, US). Last I checked,
these devices ran on GNU/Linux and Android... ironically, officially we
didn't support GNU/Linux.

For PC's we basically directed customers to a few applications, aside
from the Kobo program...
http://www.bluefirereader.com/
http://www.adobe.com/solutions/ebook/digital-editions.html

http://kobo.rakuten.co.jp/info/faq/
https://github.com/kobolabs

I believe the main dev is in TO, he might even be lurking on this list!

regards,
Daniel Villarreal
https://plus.google.com/108114195144917024494
http://www.youcanlinux.org/