[GTALUG] distro support for 32-bit UEFI

Scott Sullivan scott at ss.org
Fri Nov 20 22:31:00 UTC 2015

On 19/11/15 03:22 AM, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> Scott informed me that 32-bit Debian Jessie (8.0) does support UEFI.
> Wonderful!  But I'm chicken: there is no 32-bit UEFI live image and I
> don't want to install without trying.  After all, there may well be
> unsupported bits on these screwy devices.  (Sadly Linux distros seem
> to be weak on touch, one of the strengths of these little devices.)

Hi Hugh,

I actually took a run at this properly a few weeks ago. In my case I was
playing around with a pair setop box like devices I own.

Finding #1

The 32bit UEFI support is in the Multi-Arch iso.

Finding #2

The nightly and daily builds seem to be broken at this time. Grub fails
to find it's own menu. (GRUB has uefi support).

Finding #3

The 8.2 multi-arch ISO boots, and then things blow up from there, with
questionable kernel / hardware support. Hence why I was trying the
nightlies.

So...

Yeah, I'm going to need to revisit this, but the road seems to be there,
just some real holes to fill in first.

--
Scott Sullivan