[GTALUG] Server issues and questions

o1bigtenor o1bigtenor at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 22:43:14 UTC 2015

Greetings

On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 6:30 PM, David Thornton <northdot9 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have some questions, ideas, and suggestions.
>
> Is control r required to configure the raid?

Yes.

> Is it that you can't "catch" the control r ? Is it that it goes by too
> quickly?

No, just that the control R key sequence is not accepted by the bios -
- - so one can't go into the array control and do whatever.

> Is the drive detected?

Yes.

> Is the drive connected to an on-board raid card or an add-in card?

Its an add-in card. Changing it isn't very cheap and changing it to
something that would be fairly up to date is sort of pricey. (I was
offered a fairly new server (refurbished) at a fairly good price that
would be cheaper than the new hardware raid board.)

> Is the drive SAS or sata?

SATA.

> You could try installing on a different non raid disk. Then use the vendor
> tools to access and configure the raid card using the user space tools.

There is no way to install a hard drive that isn't controlled by the
hardware raid controller.

Thanks for the ideas.
Wish I knew something about the bios - - - Dell's information assumes
that everything is working. I'm wondering if a dead battery on the
raid controller might be the issue. Don't really know how to find out
though!

Thanks again!!

Dee