[GTALUG] Server issues and questions

o1bigtenor o1bigtenor at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 22:43:01 UTC 2015

Greetings

On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 6:34 PM, David Thornton <northdot9 at gmail.com> wrote:
> And for what it's worth I really like freenas which is a bsd based Nas
> solution that has a single sqlite3 file as its config and is meant to be run
> off a USB key .... so that all of your drives can be "data drives".
>
> It has a Web gui. Has some cool plug-ins like dockers and sick beard. And
> best of all it uses zfs , the Cadillac of filesystems IMHO.
>
> I've been running on it reliably for a couple of years now.

Thanks - - - FreeNas was one of the contenders that I looked at when I started
working on setting up the NAS box. There were a few things that tipped me
toward OpenMediaVault - - among them being able to use other systems
besides zfs (JFS is one that I was recommended for use with database usage),
the integrated (not totally sure how to set it up though) VirtualBox
stuff is probably
what tipped things in OpenMediaVault's favor.

Great to hear your recommendation though - - - will keep it in mind
for reference!

Any suggestions for a great backup system?

Dee