[GTALUG] Server rack questions

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Mon Nov 9 16:14:27 UTC 2015

On Mon, Nov 09, 2015 at 03:42:24PM -0500, James Knott wrote:
> On 11/09/2015 03:27 PM, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> > Given one would think each rack mount server shipped with matching rails
> > from the factury, the number of rails and servers on the planet should
> > be in sync.
>
> Nothing says you have to buy a rack with a server.  With today's compact
> hardware, you can have several in the same rack.  Will you get a rack
> included with each one?  You might also want to mount a server in a rack
> you already have.

Who was talking about racks?  We were talking about the rails that go
on your rack mount server to allow putting it into your rack of choice.

What would be the point of a rack mount server that you can't put in a
rack because you have no rails.

Now I suppose there are enough styles of racks that perhaps one type of
rails won't work in all cases, so in that case buying the rails on the
side would make sense.  I have only ever seen servers in deep racks that
mount the rails at each end, but for other gear I have seen center mounted
(where the rack has only one wide column in the middle).  The same rails
for a server would not work for that.

--
Len Sorensen