[GTALUG] Server rack questions

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Mon Nov 9 15:27:00 UTC 2015

On Fri, Nov 06, 2015 at 05:52:07PM -0600, o1bigtenor wrote:
> There's a Dell 2950 II server (1U) and 2 Dell/APC 3000 UPS (2U and
> fairly heavy).
>
> You have it backwards. They can strip off all the stuff besides x and
> sell it. You will
> pay Y for the server then you need the side mounts (with might cost you $15 but
> separate its $50 or new ones at $110) and the hardware (should be
> about $0.75 per bolt/
> cage nut combo buying by the 20# box) but you are paying $2.00 for each combo.

Given one would think each rack mount server shipped with matching rails
from the factury, the number of rails and servers on the planet should
be in sync.

How can there even be a market for used rails split from the server
other than due to clueless removal and failure to keep the parts together.

I guess they could be doing it on purpose to make a killing on the rails
while making the servers look "cheap" by not including the needed rails.

--
Len Sorensen