[GTALUG] Server rack questions

o1bigtenor o1bigtenor at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 18:52:07 UTC 2015

On Fri, Nov 6, 2015 at 5:15 PM, Lennart Sorensen
<lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 06, 2015 at 02:53:42PM -0600, o1bigtenor wrote:
>> You''ve got it in one!
>>
>> Used stuff with the side rails stripped off. So I'm not sure what to buy!
>> Its why I'm asking. Never assembled one of these before. Very comfortable
>> with the different screw sizes but its these other parts - - - the ones
>> that fasten to the boxes and then get bolted to the frame that are 'I'm not sure
>> what to get' type of pieces.
>
> Do you have a list of the equipment make/models you are trying to
> rack mount?

There's a Dell 2950 II server (1U) and 2 Dell/APC 3000 UPS (2U and
fairly heavy).

> One would think whoever took the stuff out of the rack would have enough
> clue to realize the equipment would be more valuable if the rails stayed
> with it, and the rails by themselves are totally useless.

You have it backwards. They can strip off all the stuff besides x and
sell it. You will
pay Y for the server then you need the side mounts (with might cost you $15 but
separate its $50 or new ones at $110) and the hardware (should be
about $0.75 per bolt/
cage nut combo buying by the 20# box) but you are paying $2.00 for each combo.

Regards

dee