[GTALUG] Server rack questions

o1bigtenor o1bigtenor at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 15:53:42 UTC 2015

On Fri, Nov 6, 2015 at 2:48 PM, Lennart Sorensen
<lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 06, 2015 at 02:16:26PM -0600, o1bigtenor wrote:
>> On Fri, Nov 6, 2015 at 1:31 PM, Lennart Sorensen
>> <lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:

>> > I find the main trouble is known what kind of screws a specific type of
>> > rack needs.  Would be great if these things had a standard, but apparently
>> > they don't.  Well at least there are too many standards to pick from.
>> >
>> > https://www.rack-solutions.ca/rack-hardware.html seems to have a nice
>> > summary of sizes used.  Seems HP uses M6 screws.  Their prices look
>> > pretty decent too.  And they appear Canadian. :)
>> >

>> What parts should I be looking for to attach to the server boxen and the upss
>> ao that I can attach the boxes to the rack? (This is the biggest issue
>> right now.)
>
> If you don't have the rails, then that's a totally different problem.
> Those you have to get from the manufacturer of the product to mount.
> I think most rack mountable stuff comes with the rails so you should
> already have them.  If you buy used stuff, then that could be a problem
> I guess.

You''ve got it in one!

Used stuff with the side rails stripped off. So I'm not sure what to buy!
Its why I'm asking. Never assembled one of these before. Very comfortable
with the different screw sizes but its these other parts - - - the ones
that fasten to the boxes and then get bolted to the frame that are 'I'm not sure
what to get' type of pieces.

Regards

Dee