[GTALUG] Backups for files

o1bigtenor o1bigtenor at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 11:46:30 UTC 2015

On Thu, Nov 5, 2015 at 10:14 AM, Digiital aka David <digiital at gmail.com> wrote:
> No question go for Harddrive. BUT don't put your trust on just one drive
> either. The power up and power down puts a lot of strain on the drive, you
> are just better to leave the drive on all the time. Better option would be a
> NAS with RAID setup.
>
> I have had a few drives gone belly up, lucky I had them setup as RAID and
> had a backup of the backup.

Its a raid array I'm trying to back up. What this issue (failed array)
has taught me
is that hard discs aren't enough!!!

A tip - - - some of the drives marketed as applicable to NAS raid arrays really
aren't applicable. You need to be purchasing drives that have ERC or error
recovery control. I was slapped upside the head because I had drives that didn't
have that but when I bought the drives (early 2012) NOBODY was talking about
that.

So now starts the search for effective backup media!!

Dee