[GTALUG] Remote GUI access to a Linux box from Windows

Giles Orr gilesorr at gmail.com
Fri May 29 14:28:07 UTC 2015

On 28 May 2015 at 16:00, Loui Chang <louipc.ist at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu 28 May 2015 15:45 -0400, Alex Volkov wrote:
>> The major requirements are -- it's gonna work on a LAN, needs to be
>> responsive, and the should exist a decent windows client.
>>
>> I think VNC is a bit too cumbersome, although there might be a better
>> client out there.
>
> What is cumbersome?
>
> I've found VNC to be pretty trivial to walk non technical users through, even
> children. If you control the network around the Linux machine you can open
> a path to it and even point a domain to it. So no messing around with IP
> addresses or firewalls on their side.

He says "even children," as if they're tough to teach.  Now if you'd
said "even grandparents," that would be a selling point.

I've always used VNC, and have no big issues with it ... but I'm
willing to admit that "cumbersome" is a reasonably accurate
description.  The next time I need such a thing, I'll take Myles'
suggestion and look at xrdp.

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/