[GTALUG] Remote GUI access to a Linux box from Windows

Myles Braithwaite me at mylesbraithwaite.com
Thu May 28 19:57:55 UTC 2015

Alex Volkov wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I need to organize a remote gui access from several windows machine to a
> linux box, running Fedora 22 with GNOME.
>
> The major requirements are -- it's gonna work on a LAN, needs to be
> responsive, and the should exist a decent windows client.
>
> I think VNC is a bit too cumbersome, although there might be a better
> client out there.
>
> Has anyone used anything more recent? So far I'm most inclined on using
> X2Go -- http://wiki.x2go.org/doku.php, has anyone had any experience
> with it?

I am using xrdp[1] right now for this and it's great because it just
works. It's works while for most basic office-like tasks (i.e. running
LibreOffice, Wireshark, and Thunderbird). I wouldn't suggest it for
running video though. You can use the Microsoft's Remote Desktop Connect
as the client.

[1]: <http://www.xrdp.org/>