[GTALUG] Help to setup for scanning

o1bigtenor o1bigtenor at gmail.com
Wed May 27 15:37:34 UTC 2015

On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 8:32 AM, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh at mimosa.com> wrote:

> | From: o1bigtenor <o1bigtenor at gmail.com>
>
> | On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 11:07 PM, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh at mimosa.com>
> | wrote:
>
> | > Remember to put a hole in your firewall. UDP 54925, I think.
>
> | Got all the tasks but the last one. I thought that the firewall is on the
> | outside of my network
> | and my url (slightly different that the one listed) is on my network.
>
> Not a URL, an IP address.  On my network, all things have static IP
> addresses.  So I forgot to mention that issue.  I don't remember how
> brscan4 discovers IP addresses.  It might be easiest if you give your
> printer a static address (configuring your DHCP server (probably in
> your router) to do so).  Then you can tell brscan4 the IP address as I
> did.

Sorry - - -  still learning the exact terms and where they fit! Should have
just
said quad and I would have been closer!

> | Could this be the entire issue?
>
> When you install Linux you are likely to get a simply configured
> firewall.  And it is likely to block UDP 54925.  But it depends on
> your distro.  I don't know about Debian Testing -- someone else surely
> does.  Maybe useful (first google hit):
>         <https://wiki.debian.org/DebianFirewall>
>
> To see the firewall rules in gory raw detail:
>         sudo iptables -L -v

My firewall is on the router (running DD-WRT) so I was thinking that my
network
should be behind the wall. Not sure how to do any of that and I'm running
out of time
to get the needed work done!

Thank you so much for your advice!

Dee