[GTALUG] Help to setup for scanning

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Wed May 27 13:32:31 UTC 2015

| From: o1bigtenor <o1bigtenor at gmail.com>

| On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 11:07 PM, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh at mimosa.com>
| wrote:

| > Remember to put a hole in your firewall. UDP 54925, I think.

| Got all the tasks but the last one. I thought that the firewall is on the
| outside of my network
| and my url (slightly different that the one listed) is on my network.

Not a URL, an IP address.  On my network, all things have static IP
addresses.  So I forgot to mention that issue.  I don't remember how
brscan4 discovers IP addresses.  It might be easiest if you give your
printer a static address (configuring your DHCP server (probably in
your router) to do so).  Then you can tell brscan4 the IP address as I
did.

| Could this be the entire issue?

When you install Linux you are likely to get a simply configured
firewall.  And it is likely to block UDP 54925.  But it depends on
your distro.  I don't know about Debian Testing -- someone else surely
does.  Maybe useful (first google hit):
	<https://wiki.debian.org/DebianFirewall>

To see the firewall rules in gory raw detail:
	sudo iptables -L -v