[GTALUG] Help to setup for scanning

Anthony de Boer adb at adb.ca
Wed May 27 01:19:19 UTC 2015

D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> I have a Brother DCP-7065DN.  The situation is just as you describe.
> I have to install drivers for each function on each client machine.
>
> I would not have bought it if I had known that it required proprietary
> binary drivers.  But it does work, for printing and scanning.
> I haven't tried "scan key tool".

We have a Brother MFC-9120CN (networked colour laser/copier/scanner/fax)
which isn't quite so bad.  There's a specific .ppd to feed CUPS for the
printer side to be happy.  And scanning pushes a choice of .jpg or .pdf
content to a Samba share.  I don't think we've ever actually tried to
send or receive a fax, FWIW.

Before that we had a Brother HL-2030 monochrome laser, which worked fine
but the aforementioned unit was too useful and inexpensive to pass up.
The older printer then got our firstborn through an Engineering degree
and might be wanting a fresh drum soon.

--
Anthony de Boer