[GTALUG] Niche Chrome/painless MIDI on Linux/synth nerdiness: 106.js

Stewart C. Russell scruss at gmail.com
Sun May 24 01:30:44 UTC 2015

Hi all — this might be of interest to a limited number on this list, but
it really impressed me.

You will need:

  * USB MIDI hardware (though you can noodle on the keyboard much less
    impressively)
  * a recent Chrome build (/possibly/ Chromium too; if you can enable
    Web MIDI under chrome://flags, it might work)

Now go here:

    http://resistorsings.com/106/

If you've got your MIDI set up, you've got a decent-ish emulation of a
Juno 106. In JavaScript. Talking to your MIDI hardware with minimal
latency.

I'm linking this here as my previous experience with MIDI on Linux was
highly dispiriting. If I could even get it to work, there was usually a
¼s or more delay between pressing a key and getting a note. This just
works. I'm impressed.

cheers,
 Stewart