[GTALUG] SSH key on a USB stick

Tim Sattarov stimur at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 16:36:28 UTC 2015

On 2015-03-30 11:24, Giles Orr wrote:
> I'd like to keep an SSH key on a USB stick rather than storing it
> locally on every machine I want to use the key on.  The theory is that
> this is "more secure" for laptops that could be stolen or lost, or
> used by others (ie. at work).
At first I would use strong enough passwords for my keys to avoid simple
re-use by third parties.
If you really need to use the same key on multiple platforms I would either
a) use separate partitions for Windows, Linux, Mac. Pros: native support
for each platform, Cons: need to sync keys every time you change them.
b) use portable Putty installation for each of the platform, just keep
three binaries on a stick. Pros: mobile and independent. Cons: limited
to a single app.

> The problem is that when I run "ssh-add
> /media/stick/my_dsa"
DSA ? I'd consider switching to RSA at least or ECDSA family.

--
Tim