[GTALUG] SSL Certs

Tim Tisdall tisdall at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 18:27:01 UTC 2015

On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 1:51 PM, John Sellens <jsellens at syonex.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2015/03/24 12:25:49PM -0400, Tim Tisdall <tisdall at gmail.com> wrote:
> | Hmm..  I don't remember seeing a limitation about commercial use.  Do
> | you have a link to that?
>
> I may have been mis-remembering (or it might have changed) or perhaps
> I bumped up against
>
> http://www.startssl.com/?app=25#2
>
> which (I think) says that you can't have an organization or company name
> in a free certificate.
>
> Actually, looking back in my mail archives, they declined to issue me
> a certificate for a web hosting server in January 2013, and I think the
> reason at that time was that it was business related.

I think that's referring to the fact that they can only authenticate
individuals for the free one. So the free certificate is going to
contain the person's name that they authenticated.  When I used it, I
don't remember trying to add a company name so you're probably right
that they don't allow you to add one unless you go for the next level
of cert (the one you buy).

Any way, none of this precludes someone at GTALUG creating a
certificate for the mailserver's domain name and securing the
necessary pages.  You just have to use their automated system to prove
you are who you are and that you own (or have control over) the domain
name in question.  The benefit is that pretty much every browser
already has startssl's CA included.