[GTALUG] Cool, but obscure unix tools :: Software architect Kristof Kovacs

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso at utoronto.ca
Fri Mar 20 13:57:44 UTC 2015

On 18/03/15 11:04 PM, Christopher Browne wrote:
> On 18 March 2015 at 20:40,  <phiscock at ee.ryerson.ca> wrote:
>> http://kkovacs.eu/cool-but-obscure-unix-tools
>>
>> Courtesy of my Bro, Dave Hiscocks.
>
> I like his tastes quite well!  Apparently I know some obscure
> Unix tools!  :-)  And better still, I am not familiar with all of them.

I'll add 'pv' to the list. Great way to watch progress if you are using
zcat/cat to pipe something somewhere.

For example, got a database dump? 'cat db.sql | pv | yoursqlengine'

You get a nice progress bar and estimation of time to complete,
autoscaling speed. Lots of other options too.

Cheers, Jamon