[GTALUG] OT: How Superstar Companies Like Apple Are Killing America’s High-Tech Future

William Muriithi william.muriithi at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 00:34:23 UTC 2015

H‎i Hugh,

[Warning: long off-topic posting.]

[I would welcome challenges to what I write.]

| From: Ivan Avery Frey <ivan.avery.frey at gmail.com>

| Might be of interest to people on this mailing list.
|
| http://ineteconomics.org/institute-blog/william-lazonick-how-superstar-companies-apple-are-killing-america-s-high-tech-future

My impression is that he's got some points but his over-all point is
unconvincing.

Your analysis is quite good and totally agree with what you say. I do however feel you ignored most of the argument and concentrated on last paragraph a little.

In my opinion, his argument is apple and the like are bad for the ecosystem because they take advantage of US and to be frank other countries without giving back. There is another reason why apple can't give dividends, it would trigger tax against that dividend. That is very questionable for a company that's based close to university of California, a school that used to get a lot of taxes and responsible to lot of law research that apple is currently using.

To me, that was his main argument and in my opinion the biggest drive of the current problems.

Regards,

William