[GTALUG] Keep X from going to sleep

Scott Sullivan scott at ss.org
Tue Mar 17 12:50:17 UTC 2015

On March 17, 2015 7:55:37 AM EDT, William Witteman <wwitteman at gmail.com> wrote:
>Here's a problem I'm hoping to solve:
>
>When idle for some amount of time, X shuts down the screen.  When a
>program like VLC is playing a video (or even paused) this does not
>happen.
>
>How can I tell X to never sleep?  I just want it to send output down
>that cable, constantly, forever.

The monitor sleep functionality is called DPMS.

At run time you can disable it with the xset command.

xset -dpms

The more permanent option is to create a conf snippet in your xorg.conf.d.

Once again the arch wiki has great docs. And this specific information will readily translate to debian or any other distro.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Display_Power_Management_Signaling
--
Scott Sullivan