[GTALUG] Keep X from going to sleep

Russell Reiter rreiter91 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 12:18:52 UTC 2015

There are two primary controls which can blank the screen. One is the
screen saver widget the other is power management. Obviously the screen
saver can display an image but it can also just blank the screen. Power
management can spin down drives etc. but it also can blank the screen. If
you access both of these and set each one to never, your screen should stay
lit.

One caveat, for some reason updates of either of these resets the time to
blank the screen to 10 min or so. Or at least it has done this in the past.
With everyone using at least LCD displays now I don't know why the screen
savers ship enabled by default. They were originally intended to stop CRT
burn in. That is if you left a static image on your screen for a
significant amount of time you would actually burn the image onto your
display. I don't believe burn in is a problem these days. My screen never
shut off when my computer is running, sometimes weeks of uptime before I
reboot for one reason or another. Haven't toasted my LCD monitor, yet!
Hope this helps.
Russell