[GTALUG] NTP's Fate Hinges On 'Father Time' - InformationWeek

Stewart C. Russell scruss at gmail.com
Sun Mar 15 14:36:10 UTC 2015

On 2015-03-14 10:09 PM, David Thornton wrote:
> "Keeping time in sync" is a cornerstone to technology from gps to ssl,
> from hft to big data.
Absolutely. At the solar plant I audited the other week, I was amused to
see that the great big huge expensive grid protection and control box
was controlled via GPS sync. It's the cheapest way to maintain grid
frequency at the far end of the grid. And I mean /far/; 5 hours west of
Thunder Bay …

> My finance client's use ptp not ntp.

Is PTP particularly hard to use? It looks like an ISO standard, so will
likely be fiddly but complete.

cheers,
 Stewart