[GTALUG] FSF Europe "Document Freedom Day"

Christopher Browne cbbrowne at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 20:40:37 UTC 2015

I just saw this yesterday afternoon, so there hasn't been opportunity
to do much vetting of this.

The Free Software Foundation Europe (FSFE) is doing a "Document
Freedom Day" to encourage awareness of Open Standards about document
formats.

  http://documentfreedom.org/

A primary sponsor is LibreOffice/The Document Foundation, which should
give some idea as to where the thoughts about standards might be
coming from.

The date of the event is March 25th, which is sufficiently close by
that I don't think we can organizationally get anything too major into
place, but if people are individually interested, see if there's
something you'd be keen on doing about it.

I'd think it a neat idea for us as individuals to forward this to our
various political representatives (e.g. - city councillors, MPPs, MPs)
to encourage their awareness as representatives of organizations that
manage rather a lot of documents on our behalf.  I would think that is
likely to be at nearly as effective as trying to do a formal
submission as an organization.