[GTALUG] Mini PC for Home Office?

Christopher Browne cbbrowne at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 19:30:48 UTC 2015

On 5 March 2015 at 14:06, James Knott <james.knott at rogers.com> wrote:
> On 03/05/2015 01:19 PM, William Park wrote:
>> 2. When it asks for Microsoft id, type something common (ie.
>> user=abc at com, pass=abc) and it will complain, and give you "local"
>> account.
>
> I wonder if Windows would choke if I used my Linux ID & password?  ;-)

I'm sure it would be happy to tell everyone...

Memories of the '80s Faberge commercial, "You tell two friends, and
they tell two friends, and so on, and so on..."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcskckuosxQ

I can see how they'd do this thing of falling back to a less secure
mechanism, but it makes my
brain hurt that if authentication fails, they just degrade it and try
again without saying anything.
Very awful to depend on that, particularly if it was possible that you
were going to send that
intended-to-be-local authentication data to someone that shouldn't know it.

Nice dosage of "yechhhh!!!"

The Asus box seems nice enough; pretty similar, broadly, to my Zotac ID-88,
which I also bought at Canada Computers, albeit just long enough ago that
it seems to have gotten replaced by subsequent models.  My one challenge
in Linux installation was that my unit wasn't happy recognizing a Debian
boot CD.  I was able to use PXE booting instead, which worked out
perfectly fine.  I didn't get a Windows license with it, so had nothing to
preserve in that regard.